By reading the title, I can imagine you may be confused. Why would I be writing about things I've learned in life and not giving you product recommendations? I've been telling myself for the past couple of months that I want to start discussing real-life issues both on here and on YouTube. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but to those who actually want to get to know me, this is the post for you.
So why am I reminiscing and sharing 30 things I've learned with you? It's easy. Today I turn 30, and although my life isn't at all what I thought it would be at this age, here I am. Every single choice, decision, and path has led me here. Thirty lessons may seem like a lot, but I've had 3 decades of living, and I've learned WAY more!
- The universe has a plan, and as much as you may not believe it during rough times, it's true.
- Everything truly does happen for a reason
- Anxiety, depression, and mental illness do not make you weak. On the contrary, they make you strong!
- "The things you own, end up owning you." Don't believe or think that you need materialistic things to be happy.
- If you don't feel right doing something, don't force yourself to do it.
- 'Me' time is precious time, people often take for granted.
- Listen to your body when it talks! Whether it be feeling weak, or nauseous.
- Hold those that you love, close.
- Don't underestimate yourself.
- Make conscious decisions for the universe, it's your home.
- Don't be scared to make new friendships.
- Don't be afraid to meet people from the internet.
- Let toxic relationships and friendships GO!
- If someone doesn't make time for you, don't make time for them.
- Don't let people take you for granted.
- Allow yourself to FEEL everything, whether it's weakness or strength.
- Allow yourself to explore new and scary things.
- Go on vacation, even if it's a state/town next door!
- Allow yourself to love and to be loved.
- Forgive and forget.
- Don't dwell on things from the past.
- Don't spend money on things that will end up being forgotten.
- Don't talk yourself out of doing something you want to do.
- If life gives you lemons, making a killer lemonade.
- Not all friendships are made to last.
- If you love someone, tell them and make sure they feel it!
- Allow new opportunities to come into your life.
- Believe that not all change is bad.
- Tell yourself that you are worth it.
- Meditate, breath, and just enjoy life as it is.
I know these may seem super simple, but looking back to 20-year-old Melissa, as wise as I thought I was, I didn't believe any of these things.
It's crazy how age really does make you mentally and emotionally aware of all that life can and does bring to you. Although these lessons may not make sense to a bunch of you, take them into consideration and try to implement them into your life.
Trust me, these things make a huge difference and change the person you are and become.
I'm grateful for all the growth I've established, and I'm nervous about all that's to come, but I'm ready with open arms!